CAMPO DEI FIORI: UW ROME CENTER VIEW

CAMPO DEI FIORI: UW ROME CENTER VIEW

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Tuesday, May 20th Blog


Tuesday morning, I got up and took a nice cold shower because our water heater YET AGAIN has failed me. I got ready quickly so  that Lorraine and I would have time to get breakfast at our favorite bar. After a cappuccino and a croissant, we went to the market by our apartment to buy some peaches and bananas. She left me to catch a bus to her service-learning site, and I returned to the apartment to drop off our fruit. I then met up with Rebecca and Claudia to head to our service-learning site. On the way to the bus stop, an American girl approached us with a free cup of gelato promotional card to Old Bridge Gelateria. The three of us took a quick detour to retrieve our free gelato at our favorite gelateria, and also signed up to win a trip to Prague! After we scarfed down our ice cream, we caught the H to Termini, and then the 105 to Iqbal Masih. The bus rides never fail to amuse me! When I arrived at my school, my students were outside playing “jump the rope” at recess. I joined in. They asked me to be the one who spin the rope in the center so the rest of them could jump over without stopping the rotation. After about 15 minutes of spinning around, we went upstairs to their classroom for a geometry lesson; I helped Paula, the head teacher, teach the lesson in English. It was very gratifying, and after class today, I concluded that I wanted to teach English to non-English speaking students. I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face yesterday afternoon. It was rewarding to see a light bulb go off in my students’ heads when something registered and they were able to make an Italian and English connection. For the first time, I felt like my class could understand me, and I was able to communicate with them. After service learning, I returned home to the apartment where I met up with my group to discuss the order of our final presentation. Then, we left to dinner with the program. We ate at a wonderful restaurant, Pizza Re, and were able to spend up to 20 Euro per person. I ordered a pasta dish, side caprese salad, and a chocolate cake for dessert! I was too full by the end of it! After dinner, some of my friends and I went to a mini mart to buy something to drink and then we headed back to the apartment. I took a short nap and then Claudia, Veronika, Shontia and I went to Scholar’s Pub to sing our hearts out at karaoke night! We had a blast and returned back to our beds early in the morning. All in all, it was a good day, with good company, and good food. Ciao!

Sydney Staples

No comments:

Post a Comment