CAMPO DEI FIORI: UW ROME CENTER VIEW

CAMPO DEI FIORI: UW ROME CENTER VIEW

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Tuesday, April 8th


Tuesday, 4/8/14: James Norris
This officially concludes my second week in beautiful Roma!  Today, we went to our schools and were introduced to the children that we would be working with for the rest of the quarter.  I know that most of us were excited, and the children definitely were as well.  When we came to the classes, we were bombarded with questions about where we are from, what types of food we eat, what language we speak, and so on.  I was at the Pisacane Elementary school, which meant that there was a smaller population of Italian students and a very large population of 1st and 2nd generation immigrants.  In my 5th grade class, a group of Italian college students were giving a lesson on world religions.  They began by reading the kids myths from various religions, split them up into small groups of about four, and then had them act out the myths!  I had a great time watching their learning process, as some of the students took to the task of memorizing narrations and others worked on choreographing their short stories.  At the end of the class, each group took turn presenting their plays, and we laughed with them in enjoyment!
When I got home, I realized that this was by far the most exhausted I had been since I arrived in Rome.  Maybe it was the compounding of days or that I missed my daily cappuccino, but I have a feeling that these children are going to wear me out every time I see them!  They have so much energy and are filled with such excitement that it is impossible not to be laugh and be happy with them.  Regardless of the language barrier, we found ways to joke and communicate with one another.  I think I can speak for most of us in saying that we have already formed some form of attachment to our classes.  I can’t wait to go back!
James Norris

No comments:

Post a Comment